Italian Sausage in Red Sauce
This is a Hansen family recipe and it’s one of our favorites. The best part of this is that it serves a lot of people or you can freeze the left overs for a night you don’t feel like cooking!
- 1 lb of mild pork italian sausage (you can also substitute chicken sausage)
- 1/2 lb of spicy pork sausage (you can use just mild if you do not like spicy)
- 1 Tbs Organic Coconut Oil (this is refined for high heat)
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Onion (i like to use red onion)
- 1 Clove garlic, finely chopped (i use the organic chopped garlic that comes in a can)
- 1 Can (28 oz.) Italian style plum tomatoes, with juice (I use organic for this as well)
- 1 Tbs tomato paste
- Dash of: red pepper flakes, oregano, italian seasoning, fennel seed, basil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bag of Shell Pasta (I use gluten-free), I used 2 cups
Serves 4, 1/2 cup serving each
How to make this yummy dish:
1. Sauté the sausage in a large skillet, over medium heat until well browned.
2. Drain off excess fat or liquid and transfer meat to a warm plate.
3. Add coconut oil and onion and cook, stirring over low heat, until tender. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
4. Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Add spices and cook over high heat until boiling.
5. Add the sausage back in and cook, stirring occasionally, over low heat for about 35 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
6. Serve over prepared pasta. Cook per instructions on package.
7. I like to mix the pasta and sauce together and heat it before serving. If going to freeze leftovers, do not add pasta into the sauce.
8. Serve with a side salad or alone.