Install a Nest Thermostat
Being Pregnant, I was wondering how I could turn on the A/C upstairs without having to actually walk up there. I remembered my husband talking about the Nest, and the research he had done. I decided I would surprise him by getting it and installing it myself. Yes, I watched the installation video on their website. I could totally do this. I went to Home Depot and bought 2. Yikes, now this was a commitment, there was no turning back. Here is how I did it and you can do it too!
What will you need:
The Nest, Screwdriver, and some pliers
What to do:
1) Turn off the breaker to your furnace and A/C. If you do not know which one turn of the entire thing for safety.
2) Lift off your existing cover it just snaps off. Some may have to screw off. Make sure you have a low voltage system. This will not work for high voltage. High voltage usually has really thick wires, and could have these plastic caps on the wire.
3) Take a picture of the wires so you know what it looked like before 🙂
4) If you have a jumper cable, you can go ahead and remove it. It is not needed for the nest. A jumper cable is a small wire that connects two cables. My had one on the RC and R, so I unscrewed the small screws and pulled it out.
5) Mark your wires. The nest came with these awesome stickers. Only label wires that are correctly connected. If you have extra wires that are not connected, do not use them.
6) Unscrew the rest of the wires, and pull out. Carefully remove the cover plate.
7) Take this time to patch any holes, and paint. I couldn’t find the matching paint, so I used the big cover plate, but I will go back and take this off later.
8) Install the plate and base of the nest. Make sure it’s level, and use the two screws to attach to the wall. No anchors needed, it’s pretty light.
9) Use some pliers, to straightened out the ends.
10) Attach the wires. Push down on the button and put the wire in until it clicks, and let go. voila!
11) Snap on the cover
11) Turn your circuit breaker back on! Follow instructions on the screen to set it up, and register at nest.com. Download the app on your phone, and you can manage from anywhere.
Easy as can be. I’m so proud of myself.