This is one of my all time favorite recipes. I love to make lots of them and freeze left over portions. Although, these do not last very long in our house. There are lots of different variations for this including make the same exact stuffing and roll in cabbage.
2 1/2 cups of cooked rice (I use brown rice)
10 medium bell peppers ( I like red and yellow)
1 lb of ground pork
1 lb of ground turkey
4 medium carrots, grated
1 yellow onion, diced
2 Tbsp of butter
1- 15 oz can of Tomato Sauce
2- 26 oz can of Mushroom Marinara Sauce
32 oz container of chicken broth (you can also use plain water)
Optional: add some cayenne pepper for a little bit of spicy
Makes 10 servings
1. Cook your rice per directions of the package
2. Wash and clean your bell peppers
3. Skin and grate your carrots, and dice your onion
4. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium/high heat. Add the grated carrots and onion and saute until soft. After cooked, add your can of tomato sauce and saute while stirring for about a minute. Remove from heat.
5. In a large bowl (I use my kitchen aid), mix together pork, turkey, and rice. Add eggs, and then sautéed carrots with onions. Mix well.
6. Fill each pepper with the mixture of rice and meat. press to make sure its stuffed well. I cut my peppers in half for easier stuffing and to utilize the space better, but you could also make them whole.
7. Fit them in your dutch over, or baking pan that you are using.
8. Pour marinara sauce and then fill with broth.
9. Cook at 450 degrees for 20 minutes, then lower to 350 for 60 minutes.
Freezing: Put in a glass container with some of the broth. To defrost just throw in oven until warm throughout.